Did Your Cheese Move … Again?
By Mary Arlington, Certified Park Operator
(Preface: I wrote this article and gave permission for it to be incorporated into a 2009 edition of a newsletter for the Kansas Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds. I’m now adding it to my own blog because it is still relevant 5 years later.)
Over the past decade there have been many references to cheese in business talk. Those who read “Who Moved My Cheese” by Spencer Johnson, know all about the mice Hem and Haw and how they dealt with the cheese being moved. For the rest of you, “cheese” is a metaphor. Life changes. It changes all the time. Just when we get used to things the way they are, they aren’t anymore. The book makes everyone think
about how they react to change.
How do you react to change? Do you …
• Welcome it warmly and excitedly?
• Listen intently, wondering just how this might impact the way you do things?
• Tune it out, ignore it and hope it goes away? Maybe even deny it happened?
• Say, “don’t mess with things that aren’t broken”?
• Get angry? Continue reading